[Xcb] Announcement of x11vis, an X11 visualizer

Michael Stapelberg michael+xcb at stapelberg.de
Sun Apr 10 12:23:29 PDT 2011

Hi!

I am proud to announce my new tool to help you debugging your X11 applications.
Its name is x11vis and it is intended to be an X11 visualizer (in contrast to
'just' a tracing tool). I started this project to implement a lot of
improvements over existing tools such as xtrace.

To get an idea of what this is all about, please watch the following short
screencast (about 6 minutes):

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvTcnyCCGVg

A short list of the points covered in the screencast:
  • Graphical and interactive user interface instead of lots of plain text
  • Displaying window titles instead of IDs and program commandlines for all
    programs involved in a session
  • Summarizing important information instead of full verbosity by default
  • Filtering and searching

If you want to *read* more about it, see http://x11vis.org/docs/manual.html

You can find the website at http://x11vis.org/

Please have a look and see if x11vis works for you. Should you need any help in
setting it up or using it, I’m reachable on IRC in #x11vis/FreeNode or via
e-mail.

Best regards,
Michael