[Xcb] old xcb, x protocol interfaces

Josh Triplett josh at joshtriplett.org
Sat Feb 12 22:53:56 PST 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 10:17:20AM +0600, strinter wrote:
> Thanks very much!
> I automatically copied this example from the xcb introductory
> tutorial. I have a question, related to this. At the moment I am
> trying to investigate the structure of xcb more seriously, I managed
> to figure out how to respond to events and
> do the "keysym to char" transformations from the source code of the library,
>  but need to understand how xcb works at a lower layer. Hence, does anybody
> have access to older versions of xcb, probably the initial versions. I
> expect them to
> be much smaller and simpler, which would ease understanding. I need them
> to investigate the workings of the transport/X protocol layer of the library.
> I also googled for alternative simple implementations of the X
> protocol interface/wrapups in C but without any success. I would be
> very grateful for any information in this direction.

You can find older versions of XCB via the XCB git repository.  However,
I think you'll find them no simpler than the current version, and in
many ways more complex.  I don't know of any simpler implementation of
the X protocol than the current version of XCB.  You might try walking
through that, perhaps in conjunction with the X protocol documentation
(specifically xproto.ps, commonly available in a package named
"xorg-docs").

- Josh Triplett