[Xcb] Next Release?

Josh Triplett josh at joshtriplett.org
Fri Aug 16 11:25:47 PDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 12:20:38PM -0400, Peter Harris wrote:
> On 2013-08-16 11:04, Uli Schlachter wrote:
> > P.S.: We want new libxcb and xcb-proto releases, right? We need
> > libxcb to enable xcb-xkb by default and xcb-proto for lots of
> > random fixes? Does this mean, that the new libxcb should depend on
> > thw new xcb-proto release?
>
> Yes, there are some changes to xcbgen since 1.8, so libxcb won't build
> properly without the new xcb/proto.
>
> > P.P.S: Are we aiming for libxcb 1.10 and xcb-proto 1.9? Or both
> > 1.10 and proto skips 1.9? Or something completely different?
>
> I'll leave that particular bikeshed for someone else to paint.

As long as ./configure includes the proper version check, it truly
doesn't matter if the version numbers match.  In general, we shouldn't
expect them to; xcb-proto changes when the XML protocol descriptions
change, while libxcb changes only if the libxcb core changes or there's
an entirely new extension library.

I think the issues Jamey mentioned with the synchronization fun and
excitement are the only ones gating the release.

- Josh Triplett