[Xcb] New libxcb and xcb-proto releases (code name: "Oh, shit")

Daniel Martin consume.noise at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 14:37:52 PST 2013

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 03:45:09PM +0100, Uli Schlachter wrote:
> - We are renaming things in xcb_ge_event_t (this time on purpose). How are
>   people supposed to deal with it so that they work both with old and new
>   libxcb? There doesn't seem to be a #define which could easily be used for
>   deciding if pad0 or extension is the right field to use.

We could add an integer attribute to <xcb> elements reflecting the "xcb"
api version, an example for randr:
    <xcb header="randr" extension-xname="RANDR" extension-name="RandR"
         major-version="1" minor-version="4" api-version="1">
which could result in a define:
    #define XCB_RANDR_API_VERSION 1
and to be prepared for the future (necessary changes?) we could add such
a define in xcb.h too:
    #define XCB_API_VERSION 1

Would that be sufficient or what we want/need in regard to the current
xcb_ge_event_t issue and possible api breaks in the future (i.e. the xkb
event)?

Cheers,
    Daniel Martin