[Xcb] [RFC libxcb 0/5] Fix GE events from the ground up, leading to a full 64bit sequence API

Bart Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Wed Jun 5 08:57:06 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 7:46 AM, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> Frankly, the only reason XCB exposes the native event wire format to
> applications is because that's the 'cheapest' way of doing it; it
> doesn't provide any practical benefit for applications.

The other consideration was that you know exactly what is coming in on
the wire and what you are putting out. This is useful in the case of
protocol analyzers, test code and the like. It's just a convenience,
as you can always read the spec to find out what's actually going on,
but I consider it a convenience feature.

I'm pretty agnostic about the proposed change. It seems to me that if
we are ever going to fix it, we should do it now: it will only get
harder later. But I'll leave it to others to decide whether it's worth
fixing at all.

--Bart