[Xcb] New libxcb and xcb-proto releases (code name: "Oh, shit")

Uli Schlachter psychon at znc.in
Thu Nov 14 09:52:22 PST 2013

Hi,

as you may have noticed, things went a little downhill after the latest
releases. Let's try to fix this without breaking more stuff. Since no one showed
up for a week (and I am trying to avoid doing the things I am supposed to do),
here is what I thought about and wrote down:

First some more emergency releases (based on branches ontop of the latest releases):
- Create branches based on the latest releases for both libxcb and xcb-proto
- proto:
  - Remove that evil tab (python 3 compatibility)
  - revert the introduction of GE events to the XML
   - revert the XKB ABI issue (we end up with a broken definition for GetNames
and GetMap, but at least it will be as broken as in 1.9)
   - ("remove reference to nonexistant enum" since Peter asked for it)
- libxcb:
  - Revert the removal of xcb_ge_event_t
  - depend on the next proto release

I prepared the above and the git repos can be found here:
- http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~psychon/proto/log/?h=1.9-cleanup
- http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~psychon/libxcb/log/?h=xcb-1.9

For the actual release:
- Follow the steps from the ReleasingXcb wiki page!

Open issues:
- Get someone from the list to agree with this ;-)
- What should the tags be called? Previously, we just used the version numbers,
but Keith included the project name. (Bike shedding? :-) )
- Should we get 1.9 and 1.9.2 tags matching the previous convention?
- The NEWS file was terribly neglected. Entries for proto 1.9 (and 1.9.1) and
libxcb 1.9.1, 1.9.2 (and 1.9.3) are missing (See ReleasingXcb for details on how
to create these; amend into the version bump commit)

After the release:
- xcb-proto master:
  - Merge all the NEWS entries from the releases
  - revert GE introduction (cherry-pick from release?)
- libxcb master:
  - Merge all the NEWS entries from the releases
  - revert GE removal (cherry-pick from release?)
  - bump XKB soname
  - revert 9ae84ad187e2ba440c40f44b8eb21c82c2fdbf12 ("fix deadlock with
xcb_take_socket/return_socket v3")

If I didn't forget anything, the result of all of this is that master ends up in
a releasable state and all of this madness ends (this assumes that XKB is in a
usable state in master). I did not check really check this yet, but hope for the
best.

This means that we can wait some months until the dust settles and then
hopefully do a 1.10 releases.

I hope for lots of comments on the above lists. It would also be nice if someone
else would want to handle this, but I guess I am stuck with this job....

If no one complaints (or is faster than me), I guess that I will do all of this
next weekend. Missing complaints will be interpreted as agreement.

Cheers,
Uli

who will complain more loudly the next time he reads "XCB is blocking the
availability of a significant improvement to Mesa."

P.S.: The above is also a reminder for myself on which steps are necessary, so
anything which I forgot won't be done (hence the hint to ReleasingXcb).

P.P.S.: After the above is done, I'll try to keep my hands out of xcb and do
more productive things for a while. Cairo-xlib is still waiting for a rewrite
that I promised ages ago...

P.P.P.S.: FDO bug #44690 "Add xcb to patchwork" was resolved. Sadly, I cannot
mark patches as "merged" yet, but at least it now tracks patches sent to the ML.
See http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/project/xcb/list/
--
Who needs a ~/.signature anyway?