[Xcb] New libxcb and xcb-proto releases (code name: "Oh, shit")

Uli Schlachter psychon at znc.in
Thu Nov 14 12:56:08 PST 2013

On 14.11.2013 21:49, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 21:22:09 +0100, Uli Schlachter wrote:

>>> I think defining GE in xcb-proto makes more sense than having it in
>>> libxcb, at least for 1.10.  Any chance you could be convinced to not
>>> revert these? :)
>>
>> That's easy: Convince the code generator to generate the struct the way it was
>> defined in xcb.h.
>>
> Why?  If it was wrong before (pad0 wasn't padding), and it's right now,
> that should be fine.  It's a minor API change, but the ABI is unchanged
> so I don't think that needs to be a problem.

Uhm. AFAIK the last API break was the switch from camel case names to using
underscores. This was in 2006 (commit a3bd6f4760b5b3f5f360a69) and before
version 1.0. Since then the API is "supposed to be stable".

However, since all of this was before I even heard about XCB, I might be wrong.
But I hope that I am not wrong and we do try not to break API across minor releases.

(But I do agree that "pad0" isn't the best name for this field)

Uli
--
If you ask me to debug your code, I'm going to mail you spiders.