[Xcb] favorite xlib(or xcb) books ?

Christian Linhart chris at DemoRecorder.com
Tue Nov 4 01:50:42 PST 2014

Hi Patrick,

That's interesting.
That probably means the somebody should write a good book about XCB, maybe me? ;-).

As to good books about Xlib, I can really recommend the O'Reilly series about X:
"The definitive guide to the X Window System".

These are about 10 books.
You need at least the following two:
* "Xlib Programming Manual"
* "Xlib Reference Manual"
and maybe
* "X Protocol Reference Manual"

I have bought the whole series about 17 years ago and I learned X from it to the point that was sufficient for starting to understand the X-Server source code etc.

There are probably newer editions by now. :-)

I don't know about books about XCB.
If you understand Xlib and the X-Protocol, then XCB almost explains itself.
So it is probably sufficient if you work through the O'Reilly books, and the fill in the missing gaps by online resources or reading the XCB sourcecode for specific pieces where you are in doubt.

Once you know everything from the O'Reilly books, I think it'll be OK to ask questions here which go beyond the content of these books. Maybe you'll even become a contributor to XCB then. :-)

Hope this helps,

Chris

P.S.: Is anybody on this list already writing an XCB book?
If not, maybe I really write an XCB book ( if I have time to do that... )