[Xcb] Fwd: Changing <valueparam> to <switch> in render extension

Christian Linhart chris at DemoRecorder.com
Sat Oct 18 02:37:24 PDT 2014

Thank you for your contribution, Jaya.

I think that the diffs and Jaya's analysis show that it is quite feasible
to change <valueparam> to <switch> in existing protocol definitions.

Here's my reasoning:

1. The function xcb_render_create_picture_sizeof is missing when using <switch>.
   But it is probably a rather simple change in the generator to generate it again.
   Maybe we'll need an xml-attribute such that <switch> is generated in "valueparam compatibility mode",
   so that the additional sizeof-functions are only generated in those cases where they are needed.

   I think we should postpone changing the generator until all pending patches are merged into upstream
   and until we'll have done some of the planned code-cleanup stuff.
   ( To have a stable basis and to avoid too much merging. )

2. The change of type of the parameter "value_list" as mentioned in point 4 of Jaya's analyis
   is probably backward compatible due to the following reasons:

   2.1. It is calling compatible and linker compatible.
        Reasons:
	  - C converts all pointer types to void* implicitly.
	  - C does not include types in linktime-names of functions. ( contrary to C++ )

   2.2. There is strong evidence that the data to be passed to that parameter is the same in both vases,
        i.e., the same memory layout,
        because in both cases it is simply the protocol representation of this value_list.

   Of course this requires closer analysis and a testcase before we can be sure.

3. The rest is just new stuff added which does not cause a compatibility problem.

So, we have a good chance that we will be able to replace all <valueparam> with <switch>.
This will also mean that we will then be able to drop support for <valueparam> in the generator,
which will help to simplify the generator ( which is always a good thing ).

What do you think?

Chris