[Xcb] xcb_sync_list_system_counters(3) documentation broken

Chris Nehren cnehren+xcb at pobox.com
Tue Apr 21 18:01:37 PDT 2015

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 22:45:27 -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> On 04/19/15 05:00 PM, Chris Nehren wrote:
> > On a related note, are there any efforts or projects to
> > improve the documentation? I am finding both the Xlib and xcb
> > documentation to be sparse or lacking altogether,
>
> We've put in a good deal of effort there in past years, but progress
> has been slow lately as there's simply been no one willing to do the
> work.  xcb made a good start at providing man pages for all the functions,
> but unfortunately, work fizzled out before finishing.
>
> Still, I think the documentation on
> 	http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/index.html
> is far improved from the first X.Org release at
> 	http://www.x.org/releases/X11R6.7.0/doc/
> or even the state just a few years prior
> 	http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.5/doc/index.html
>
> For Xlib, the best reference online is
> 	http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/libX11/libX11/libX11.html
> or the pdf form of that at
> 	http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/libX11/libX11/libX11.pdf
> but there's been a bunch of updates to the docs in the tree you can get
> from a current build that aren't reflected there.
>
> Unfortunately, the lack of an X11R7.8 release means we've not updated
> the docs on the web in recent years, something I'd love to resolve
> someday by making a /current/ doc page to hold the latest docs between
> the X11R7.x katamari releases, but have not had time to.

Thank you for the R7.7 links! That's rather more up to
date than the 6.7 PDF I found on my own. I'm not sure how I
missed that page, but it looks like it provides most of what I
need. I don't suppose there's any solid docs on the randr
API? I see the protocol docs on the page you provided, but
nothing about the API itself. There don't seem to be any manpages
and the xcb docs are incomplete there as well.

>  > and do not
> > fancy reading header files or source code to guess at how to
> > use things (scowling at you, libxml2).
>
> That one is completely out of our hands - libxml2 has nothing to do
> with the X Window System, but came out of the GNOME project for
> parsing XML format files, and is now hosted at http://www.xmlsoft.org/
> (where there does seem to be a reference manual, though I've not looked
>   through it).

I didn't mean to imply that the X folks are responsible for the
libxml2 docs, merely that I've had a rough time with them due to
how incomplete they are in many places. I'm sorry if I implied
that the X / xcb devs are responsible for libxml2.

Anyway, thank you for the doc links! This will keep me busy for a
while.

--
Chris Nehren