[Xcb] Xcb and Xevie

Charles Ricketts chuck.the.pc.guy at gmail.com
Sun May 10 13:25:13 PDT 2015

Since X11 support was dropped for Xevie in 2009, one of my favorite
programs can no longer has the ability to discard specified inputs,
which can be pain under certain circumstances. In talking to the
developers, they stated that it wasn't possible anymore due to Xevie
being discontinued with nothing to take its place as far as the
necessary input intercepting.

So, I was fairly happy to see that Xcb has a Xevie library. Bare in
mind, I'm new to X programming and X internals in general but I've
learned a little bit from perusing the old code of this application. The
way I understand it, is that X has extensions, one of which was Xevie.
My main question is, does xcb-xevie take the place of that X extension,
or is it simply a way of communicating with an existing Xevie extension
if the user happens to be running an old X server? After looking through
the code, it looks to be the latter, but I just wanted to verify before
I put in a bunch of work for potentially nothing.

On my system, I can't seem to get it to work properly, but for now I'm
chalking this up to me not fully understanding the library yet and how
to work with it. In that case, I shouldn't have started with Xevie, the
documentation for xcb-xevie is mostly non-existent as of yet.

Chuck R.