[Xcb] Window transparency and clearing a window

Sheheryar Parvaz skipper308 at hotmail.ca
Mon Oct 9 22:49:08 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm using Cairo with the XCB backend for rendering, to create a docking window. However, I'd like the bar to have transparency but can't seem to figure out how to make the window transparent and/or clear the window.

For transparency, I can't seem to figure out how to make the window transparent. Even pseudo-transparency would be fine. I've heard of the possibility of copying the root pixmap, but have no idea how to do so.

Every time Cairo draws to the surface, it overwrites what was previously there. This is probably due to the fact that the window isn't truly transparent, and so isn't being cleared.

Could someone explain how to create a transparent XCB window or simulate it?