[Xcb] A new xcb/adoption, and an xcb list mailman issue

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Oct 6 02:02:57 UTC 2018

Greetings, it's come to my attention that the "last edited" timestamp on
https://xcb.freedesktop.org/adoption/ is more than four years old, and I
have just the solution to this small problem.

I've been hacking away at the following in my copious spare time, originally
for self-educational purposes, but I'm modestly proud of my own widget
toolkit, LibCXXW:

http://www.libcxx.org/w/

and I think it would make a very fine addition to the xcb/adoption page.
Besides the base libxcb library, libcxxw uses xcb-ewmh, xcb-icccm, xcb-
image, and xcb-renderutil libraries; and I acknowledge this on the
installation page.

After some 6-7 years (I forget exactly) of working with libxcb I found it to
be reliable, very well designed, and documented; and easily absorbed as a
building block for a high-level, C++1x widget toolkit. At the beginning of
this small adventure of mine, several years ago, I came here with just a few
questions, and the replies were very helpful with steering me in the right
direction. They were very much appreciated, and without libxcb (as well as
all the related, openly documented, relevant protocols) I don't think I
would've been able to learn all that I've learned about the low-level
innards of X, and be able to accomplish this modest accomplishment of mine.

P.S. There seems to be some mailman trouble around here someplace, I
originally got this from lists.freedesktop.org, when attempting to talk to
your mailman via SMTP:

<xcb-request at lists.freedesktop.org>:
     gabe.freedesktop.org [131.252.210.177]:
 >>> RCPT TO:<xcb-request at lists.freedesktop.org>
 <<< 550 5.1.1 <xcb-request at lists.freedesktop.org>: Recipient address
rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

I was able to get in touch with mailman via HTTP, but someone might want to
look into this…