spec on "multimedia buttons"

Rodney Dawes dobey at free.fr
Fri Aug 1 18:12:59 EEST 2003

A lack of good hardware detection and keyboard configuration at the
system level doesn't really make me think we should write a new "spec"
for multimedia button configuration. X has support for these. If you
think configuring a single keyboard with media keys is hard... try to
set up multiple keyboards (like say, for when you dock your laptop) or
something... and then pull in the multiple-architecture issue. Trying to
make a PC keyboard work like a Mac keyboard is not fun. :) Maybe we
should try to get those distributions that do have semi-good hardware
detection to improve it for keyboard/mouse configuration, so that they
will just set up the modmap properly automagically.

Then, it would probably be wise to have some daemite that is started by
the session manager, handle some kind of OSD/execution setup, so that
all the keys are just happy. We may have Acme, gtkpbbuttons, and all of
those other things like that, but they are only halfway, specific
solutions, or at least, seemed to be when I looked at them.

-- dobey