[Annoyances] X-Windows Copy & Paste

Marko Macek Marko.Macek at gmx.net
Tue Aug 19 12:19:01 EEST 2003

> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 07:46:27AM +0200, Marko Macek wrote:
> > There are some important applications that confuse this, like xterm
> > (still the best terminal emulator). It uses Shift+Ins to paste primary
> > selection and doesn't support the clipboard at all.
>
> actually xterm  is extremely configurable in this regard:
>
> this (in your .Xresources) turns off button 2 pastes and allows
> Shift-Insert - Paste PRIMARY
> Control-Insert - Paste CLIPBOARD if it exists, else PRIMARY
>
> XTerm*VT100.Translations: #override\n<Btn2Up>:ignore()\n\
>      Ctrl <KeyPress> Insert:insert-selection(CLIPBOARD, PRIMARY)
>
> adding a keybinding to copy the current PRIMARY selection to the
> CLIPBOARD (like an explicit cut in other apps) would be trivial.
> Xresoursces are quite the powerful tool.
>
> perhaps these should be added as default bindings? (not the getting rid
> of middle button, but the CLIPBOARD actions) the fact that xterm
> can only work on PRIMARY by default does seem like a misfeature.

there are CUA standard bindings for clipboard access (at least as standard
as Ctrl+XVC is).

only 2 are relevant in this case:

Ctrl+Ins = copy
Shift+Ins = paste

XTerm*VT100.Translations: #override\n\
      Shift <KeyPress> Insert:insert-selection(CLIPBOARD, PRIMARY)

I'm not sure how to set the CLIBOARD yet, need to look into it (setting it
automatically
is not acceptable, see other mail).

Regards,
Mark