[Annoyances] X-Windows Copy & Paste

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Aug 20 00:26:52 EEST 2003

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 22:24, John Meacham wrote:
> it shall be possible to transfer text from any app to any app via
> selections.

Anyone know any other app than Windows programs running in Wine which do
not accept PRIMARY pastes by mouse but do accept CLIPBOARD pastes?

> If you have an app without explicit copy then you must add it.

Exactly!
If you want you application to be a text source for CLIPBOARD, implement a
copy operation.

>  or LESS PREFERENTIALLY do something else, but only if you
> have very very good reason.

That would be "You can hack around recommendations and let all other
applications looks broken if you have a good reason for it", wouldn't it?

> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 12:49:55PM -0700, George wrote:
> > So you propose solving it by having different UI mechanisms in
> > different apps.  How the hell do I know as a user that wine app is
> > different from xterm?  The clipboard.txt does mention the selection
> > PRIMARY thing as an "easter egg" for technical users.  Apps should
> > then just support explicit cut and paste using the CLIPBOARD.  The
> > PRIMARY thing can stay in as "an easter egg" that need not even be
> > documented much. If PRIMARY is kept separate as it should be, then it
> > does not interfere with apps properly using CLIPBOARD.
>
> just saying PRIMARY is an easter egg doesn't work if there are apps
> where it is the ONLY mechanism for selection/pasting. this is what I am
> trying to fix. so that we MAY tell people it is an alternate method
> which is never necisary.

If an application is just accessible through PRIMARY, it will just look
like not being able to copy&paste to normal users.

People are used to applications like that, but they are not used to having
their clipboard contents changed without having issued a command to do
so.

Cheers,
Kevin

Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>