[Annoyances] X-Windows Copy & Paste

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Aug 20 01:08:02 EEST 2003

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 23:50, John Meacham wrote:

> okay. then don't change the CLIPBOARD on selection, but provide some
> other mechanism to do it, having selection change CLIPBOARD was just a
> proposed solution for certain types of apps but is certainly not for
> everyone and was not my main point. (I apologize, I know this was
> wildly unclear in my initial email)

Ah, perfect. That was the point I had problems with :)

> In any case these UI concerns are something app developers have to deal
> with and make decisions on. Letting them know that if they don't
> provide a mechanism to copy to CLIPBOARD they cannot properly
> participate in the standard X11 text exchange protocol seems like a
> good idea.

So it seems we agree on:
- if you want to participate in text exchange, provide a way to access
CLIPBOARD
- never simpley override CLIPBOARD on selection, require an appropriate
additonal step of user interaction

Cheers,
Kevin

Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>