[Annoyances] X-Windows Copy & Paste

Thomas Leonard tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Aug 21 18:44:08 EEST 2003

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 04:14:31PM +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 15:59, Thomas Leonard wrote:
[...]
> > In ROX, we call this 'saving', 'loading' and 'deleting' a file, but the UI
> > is as you describe (s/applet/directory). You can even give them names, and
> > organise them into subdirectories ;-)
>
> Oh my sides :) The catch is, you *have* to give them names, and you have
> to do an explicit "save" to get the icon you can drag.

You can get other interfaces without changing the protocol. Try selecting
and dragging the text 'Hello World' from gedit to konqueror. Konq will ask
for a name, but it could just as easily make one up if it was a scrap
directory.

[ Oddly, konq doesn't actually save the text, but rather four random
octets... need to look into that... konq is 3.1.3 here.
Hmm:
 kate->gedit: refuses drop
 kate->Edit: OK
 Edit->gedit: OK
 gedit->Edit: OK
 gedit->kate: accepts drop, but does nothing
 Edit->kate: accepts drop, but does nothing

 Edit->konq: saves 4 random octets
 gedit->konq: saves 4 random (different) octets
 kate->konq: OK

So, we've clearly got a way to go on implementations, but I think the spec
is sound. Maybe the charset bit is confusing things? Or maybe it's just
my setup? ]

[...]
> > Unifying DND with the clipboard would be a good long-term goal. After all,
> > the clipboard is really just the accessibility interface to DnD (Ctrl-C =
> > press, Ctrl-V = release).
>
> Yup. Well, you have cut vs copy, but that's a fairly subtle distinction
> anyway. I'm not sure how to phrase/represent it better though.

DnD has move vs copy, so there's no difference really.

--
Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk	tal197 at users.sourceforge.net