XEMBED: Preventing focus loops

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Thu Aug 21 21:34:23 EEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 10:12, Mike Hearn wrote:
> Is this change relevant for tray area users? There are no focus sites in
> a tray icon as far as I know, but I'm not sure about the tray applet.

If you have your own custom implementation of the XEMBED spec, yes
it is. There is no way for an XEMBED client to say "I never take
the focus" - the way an XEMBED client indicates that it never
takes the focus is that when it gets a XEMBED_FOCUS_IN message
with FOCUS_FIRST/FOCUS_LAST, it immediately sends a
XEMBED_FOCUS_NEXT/PREV message as appropriate.

With this addition, if you find the XEMBED_FOCUS_WRAPAROUND flag
in the FOCUS_IN message, you should propagate it to the
FOCUS_NEXT/FOCUS_PREV message.

This could be important if the tray was the only thing in a separate
toplevel window.

Regards,
						Owen

[
  The system icon spec could, of course, say that the tray icons
  should never be focused. But it doesn't, so you are responsible
  for at least a stub implementation of the focus messages
  in XEMBED
]