Basedir Specification migration path

Richard Boulton richard at tartarus.org
Fri Aug 22 17:38:26 EEST 2003

I've been hacking a few patches to applications that I use to make them
follow the basedir specification.  [My main motivation for this is that
I have a newly installed machine, and I'm trying to keep the home
directories reasonably clean.]

I would like to submit these patches to the application maintainers, but
at present I think there is little likelihood of them being accepted
since the specification is relatively immature, and accepting the
patches would break the application for all other users (by changing the
locations which are searched for configuration files).

If there was a well defined means by which basedir support could be
added to applications without it being the default, at least initially,
I believe getting such patches accepted would be much easier.

The attached patch to the basedir specification is my attempt at adding
such a mechanism.  I hope its reasonably self-explanatory.

--
Richard Boulton <richard at tartarus.org>