HAL mini-patch

Martin Waitz tali at admingilde.org
Sat Dec 27 02:17:19 EET 2003

hi :)

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 03:28:30PM +0100, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Is creation of init-scripts and user (hald should run as a dedicated
> unprivileged user) something 'make install' should handle, or is that
> better to do when creating rpms or debs? dbus uses a --with-init-scripts
> option, we probably want to do the same, yes?

well, at least for debian i wrote the initscript myself and i guess
every distribution will use its own initscript, too.

user creation is something that definitely should be done
by packaging scripts and not by 'make install'.
but perhaps it should print a message on how to create a new
user for hald at the end.

but i think some support for running hald as a special user
can be included.
for example a configure variable for the username.
that could be used in hald.conf and hald itself so that it
can switch user on its own.

--
CU,		  / Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen, Germany
Martin Waitz	//  Department of Computer Science 3       _________