Contacts and Calendars Standard

Thomas Leonard tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jul 16 12:51:57 EEST 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 02:51:38PM -0400, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> Daniel Farrell <daniel at farrells.org> wrote:
> > For mailboxes, I'm really not very interested in having this interact
> > with your local mailserver.  Let the MUA pull the mail from those other
> > locations and put it in the standard desktop location.  I'm talking a
> > local store so if you are in Gnome you open balsa or evolution and look
> > at your mail.  Then you log in under KDE and open KMail and you are
> > working with the same local mailboxes.
>
> Isn't there a defacto Unix location already?  ~/mail/ (possibly with
> ~/Mail/ symlinked to it)...

Perhaps we should be making a standard system to *find* the location of the
mail, rather than hard-coding it.

Mail is important user data, so it shouldn't be in either XDG_CONFIG or
XDG_DATA (public sharable data). If it's just a cache for a remote IMAP
tree, then it could go in XDG_CACHE_HOME, but otherwise it should be more
visible.

This also makes it easier to have multiple profiles (eg, 'work' and 'home'
mail dirs).

So we need:

- A file (or one file per profile) under XDG_CONFIG_DIRS containing:
  - The location of the mail (~/Mail, ~/mail, ~/.mail, ~/Work/Mail etc)
  - Username/password/server/etc for fetching mail.
  - Location of the local inbox file.

- A locking system.

--
Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net