next level of freedesktop.org

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Jul 17 18:05:42 EEST 2003

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 10:20:12AM +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> 	The point made about separating the specifications work from the
> implementation work is a good one. Maybe just a separate list for
> discussing specifications would suffice, though.

Separate list and web pages sound good. I'd like to host on the same
machine just to save work...

> 	I'm not sure whether "defining a platform" would work too well in
> practice. You're always going to have bits some people don't want and
> not have other bits that some people do want.
>
> 	But having a bunch of projects on a common release train cycle might
> work well ...

This is one key thing I want to get out of it; to have the drive of a
release cycle.

We do need to start defining a platform, in my view. Yes it's hard,
and there will be hard arguments, but ultimately it's necessary for
success. GNOME and KDE manage to do it so I think it can be done.  We
just have to be careful to operate by consensus and not force through
things that aren't ready or don't have adequately broad support.

> 	So, yeah it sounds like a sensible, natural progression. I don't think
> you'll have any trouble finding people to help out ... but have you
> investigated funding yet ?

If we have servers, that should cover all the money we need for now at
least, I think.

Havoc