date DND

George jirka at 5z.com
Sun Jul 20 21:16:53 EEST 2003

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 10:17:12PM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> (Luckily, handling of dates from 300 years ago is somewhat
> unusual.)

AFAIK, Russia and Greece had Julian calendar until the 20's, so
this means that for some people s/300/80/ :)

Still I think handling this as a date triplet is probably much better.

application/x-date implies date, and not time really to me, perhaps
application/x-unixtime (or application/x-time) could just have the
seconds since 1970 thing.

The most common case would really be that 1) the date and time are
in the present somewhere (so nothing 80 year old) and 2) both the
source and target are in the same locale and timezone.

Trying to handle random date weirdness for DND would likely result in lots of
broken apps that do it all wrong IMO, since this is what always seems to
happen when some standard is too complex.  It's better to get 99% of the
cases right consistently.

George

--
George <jirka at 5z.com>
   When the rich make war it's the poor that die.