Xdg-list digest, Vol 1 #432 - 11 msgs

Christophe Fergeau teuf at gnome.org
Mon Jul 21 17:14:13 EEST 2003

Yay, some flames, let's jump in :)

>   If the glib is so trivial, the implementing such structures again is also
> trivial.  Come on, I've done it dozens of times.  I know what the effort is
> and it's minor.

Dor my part (and I guess I'm not the only one), I no longer want to keep
reimplementing the same list structures and being really careful each
time not to introduce some crazy trivial bug. Moreover, with hash tables
for examples, it gets trickier since you have to find good hashing
functions.
And functions like g_strdup_printf (which does a sprintf, but returns a
newly allocated string) are really useful, and probably not so easy to
reimplement. Code to handle UTF-8 strings isn't so trivial either.

>    Great, so you accept that other options are also fair.  Proposal: Qt based
> libraries as part of the freedesktop spec.

QT would probably need to be split in a non-GUI package I guess ?
Weren't you talking about preserving scarce resources ? Anyway, if
freedesktop was to support some C++ containers, the (standard) STL would
probably be better (unless there are strong technical issues).
Anyway, since you are advocating that the decision should be fair to
everyone, why impose a C++ lib to C developers ?

You don't want glib, that's ok, no need to write tons of flames to say
that :)

Christophe