Desktop Entry Standard Comments

Heinrich Wendel sysop at heinospage.de
Mon Jun 9 20:59:45 EEST 2003

Hi :)

I read the now two years old Desktop Enty Standard and have some proposals to
change. The first thing I noticed is that the latest sgml version is 0.9.3
but the HTML and PS Version are only 0.9.2 this was a bit confusing, because
I found some entries in the kde .desktop files, which weren't present in the
specification.

So lets get startet. At first I would drop all items that are marked
deprecated, although that's not really necessary, a validation-tool shouldn't
tolerate this.

I don't understand why there is the "Encoding" option. Nearly all .desktop
files I've seen use Enconding=UTF-8. Are there any characters in the locale
Encodings that can't be displayed by UTF-8?

Next I would redesign the "Standard Keys"-table so it's more clear which key
can be used in which "Type".

At last I would also drop the complete MimeType Section as it seem that a new
standard for this will be established.

This would make the standard more easy to implement and also to understand :)

mfg, Heinrich :)