Colour sync in tray applets

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com
Tue Jun 10 16:16:25 EEST 2003

Hi all,

Over the past few days I've been finishing off support for the XEMBED
based system tray protocol in Wine, as my employer wishes to use an
application which makes use of the tray area under it.

It works OK, but the window that Wine creates and docks obviously has a
background of Redmond Grey (there is no other name for it :), which
makes it stick out like a sore thumb in the tray area. Therefore, I'd
like to be able to get the background colour used by the gnome/kde panel
applet so I can synchronize Wine to it.

I was under the impression that GTK stored its colours using XSETTINGS,
so the plan was to snarf them, but using the sample client I can see
that this is not the case - it only provides the name of the theme.

Having touched on this topic with HP on irc, I'm a bit worried the
answer will be, "that's not standardised yet, please write a spec",
which is fine but doesn't really solve my employers problem anytime
soon, whereas taking the name of the GTK theme then parsing the gtkrc
does.

Is there any easier way to get the colour scheme from the environment?
I've also experimented with using XSHAPE/SetWindowRgn, but unfortunately
the gnome applet at any rate appears to reposition the clipped area at
the top, when I really want it in the middle (i may just be
misunderstanding the relationship between win32 regions and xshape).

many thanks for any tips -mike

--
Mike Hearn <m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com>
QinetiQ - Malvern Technology Center