Desktop Entry Standard Comments

Jonathan Blandford jrb at redhat.com
Wed Jun 11 19:47:03 EEST 2003

David Faure <dfaure at trolltech.com> writes:

> About the deprecated section:
> * Typo: .applnk should be .kdelnk (I assume this is about KDE-1 files)

.applnk files are different from .kdelnk.  Both .applnk and .kdelnk
files should be explicitly deprecated.

> * "Deprecated" keys still used by KDE:
>   ServiceTypes, DocPath, Keywords
> The whole Service/ServiceTypes thing is definitely a KDE extension (we use
> the same .desktop-file mechanism for components as we use for apps). I
> would want to see it marked as "KDE-specific", but not as "deprecated".
> This will definitely remain in the future. And it's certainly too late to prefix it
> with X-KDE...
>
> Not sure what DocPath exactly is - well it looks like the relative path to the
> app's docu, so maybe this too could be marked as "KDE specific".
> Same thing for Keywords, we use it for KControl modules. Can it be marked as
> "KDE specific" too?

How about labeling them as "Currently reserved for use within KDE."
Still, given the generic nature of those terms it would be good if KDE
moved to an X-KDE prefix the meaning of them are explicitly defined in
the really long term.

Thanks,
-Jonathan