Menu Specification Comments

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sun Jun 15 13:26:16 EEST 2003

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 08:37:06AM +0200, Heinrich Wendel wrote:

> I said it needs a !unique! root element. Menu is not a unique
> element. It can (and does in most cases) appear multiply times in a
> .menu file.

Ah, I see. I guess we have to add <useless-stupid-root-element>
element then. I will ask Liam or Daniel to explain why that is in the
XML spec. ;-)

> > I don't understand this comment. The spec is fully recursive; nothing
> > has global scope AFAIK.
> Yes, I would add a global scope (which can be defined in the root element) and
> drop the recursive part. If a menu needs additionally .desktop/.directory
> elements, it can also have it's local scope.

Why? The implementation is much cleaner if things are just
recursive. I don't see any value to special-cased global stuff at
all. (Things in the outermost/root <Menu> are already global; there's
no sense in which something could be "more global" than that.)
An implementation just has a tree of objects representing <Menu> and
things just work.

> Can "And, Or, Not" contain instances of themselves? So is
> <And><Or></Or></And> possible?

Yes, though some such combinations are not useful.

Havoc