Menu Specification Comments

Heinrich Wendel sysop at heinospage.de
Sun Jun 15 21:17:27 EEST 2003

On Sunday 15 June 2003 17:04, you wrote:
> On Sunday 15 June 2003 12:26, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 08:37:06AM +0200, Heinrich Wendel wrote:
> > > I said it needs a !unique! root element. Menu is not a unique
> > > element. It can (and does in most cases) appear multiply times in a
> > > .menu file.
> >
> > Ah, I see. I guess we have to add <useless-stupid-root-element>
> > element then. I will ask Liam or Daniel to explain why that is in the
> > XML spec. ;-)

> > > Yes, I would add a global scope (which can be defined in the root
> > > element) and drop the recursive part. If a menu needs additionally
> > > .desktop/.directory elements, it can also have it's local scope.
> >
> > Why? The implementation is much cleaner if things are just
> > recursive. I don't see any value to special-cased global stuff at
> > all. (Things in the outermost/root <Menu> are already global; there's
> > no sense in which something could be "more global" than that.)
> > An implementation just has a tree of objects representing <Menu> and
> > things just work.
>
> It would be more clear and easier to implement I think, if we would have a
> global scope and local scope. Furtheremore there seems not to be a note
> about the recursiveness in the spec, so at first I just thought there is
> only a local scope.

I found the note in the "generating the menus" section. As we don't need to
add a new root element I think the recursive scope is quite OK.

Another question:
"Expand <DefaultAppDirs> and <DefaultDirectoryDirs> elements to <AppDir> and
<Directory> elements."

Shouldn't <Directory> be <DirectoryDir> ?

> > > Can "And, Or, Not" contain instances of themselves? So is
> > > <And><Or></Or></And> possible?
> >
> > Yes, though some such combinations are not useful.
> >
> > Havoc
>
> Heinrich :)
Heinrich :)