Menu Specification Comments

Filip Van Raemdonck mechanix at debian.org
Mon Jun 16 11:35:42 EEST 2003

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 07:07:21PM +0200, Heinrich Wendel wrote:
> > > 3.) Categories: Following categories should be added in my opinion:
>
> KidsGame (A game for kids)

Why should these be differentiated? Are we going to differentiate between
two identical games only because one uses characters from Sesame street
and the other uses Tux & friends?
What I mean is simply that these will (should) perfectly fit into the
other games categories, no need to lump all kind of different games
together just because they have more of a "kids" theme than others.

> Debugger (A code debugger)

Is it necessary to specify this beyond "Development"?

> DevTool (A development tool)

And how is this different from "Development"?

> Viewer (Application to view a graphic)

Is it necessary to specify this beyond "Graphics"?
Furthermore, this name isn't specific enough anyway; what about other
viewers, e.g. a postscript viewer?

> AVPlayer (Audio/Video Player)
> AudioMixer (Audio Mixer)
> AVRecorder (Audio/Video Recorder)
> AudioSequencer (Audio Sequencer)
> AVEditing (Audio/Video Editing software)
> AVConversion (Audio/Video conversion tool)

Same here, is it necessary to specify these beyond "AudioVideo"? This
looks like sliding back to having specialized menu categories with one or
two entries at best in each.

> WebBrowser (A webbrowser)
> InstantMessaging (An instantmessaging client)
> IRCClient (An IRC client)
> Newsreader (A newsreader)
> FileTransfer (A tool for filetransfers)
> Mail (Application to manage E-mails)

How many of these are you going to install at the same time anyway? This
too is overcategorization.

> RemoteAccess (A tool to remotly manage a PC)

Same issue. There are already plenty categories which match this,
depending on what exactly `manage' means. (be it monitoring, configuring,
whatever)

> Chart (Application to build charts)

Another one which is too specific.

> FileManager (A filemanager)

How many etc.?

And I think this category is not desired for anyway. People shouldn't have
to search the menu to fire up a file manager.
As for those using windowmanager only X sessions (as opposed to a complete
desktop environment), they should know how to start a filemanager if/when
they need one.

> Engineering (Engineering software)

Asking as an engineer, what exactly is engineering software?
This category is way too broad, and anything I can think of fits better in
other categories.

> Archiving (Archiving software)

How many ...?

Regards,

Filip

--
"Perhaps Debian is concerned more about technical excellence rather than
 ease of use by breaking software. In the former we may excel.  In the