Theme meme

Thomas Leonard tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jun 25 13:16:43 EEST 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 12:58:31PM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 07:17, Thomas Leonard wrote:
> > On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 01:40:14AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > [...]
> > > The low-hanging fruit is a "metatheme" spec (GNOME has a setup for
> > > this which I believe is essentially identical to the icon theme spec
> > > which is in turn basically same as KDE icon themes - could be
> > > documented and banged into shape probably).
> >
> > What's the current status of the theme spec? I'd like to use a theme-based
> > system for MIME icons in ROX-Filer, but the icons spec only mentions MIME
> > types as a future possibility.
> >
> > I'd imaging there would be something like ~/.themes/MyTheme/MIME-icons/...
> > with the various icons named after the MIME types, possibly in various
> > sizes. Sharing MIME icons wasn't possible in the past, due to there being
> > no agreement on what the MIME type names actually were, but using the new
> > MIME spec that problem should go away.
>
> I'd think MIME icons should simply be built on top of the icon theme
> spec, instead of being somthing different.

What's the relationship between the 'icon theme' spec and the 'metatheme'
spec? Where does ~/.themes fit into this?

Is ~/.icons replacing ~/.themes, or the other way round? Will ~/.icons
contain GTK themes in the future?

Also, is the icon theme spec going to use the base dir spec?

> E.g, you say that the icon
> for mime type a-b/c-d is the icon called "a-b:c-d" or something like
> that.

Sounds fine. Perhaps someone could add it?

(the spec gives mime_text_plain as an example, but the leading mime_ seems
unnecessary)

--
Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk		tal197 at users.sourceforge.net