icon-slicer 0.3

Fredrik Höglund fredrik at kde.org
Sat Jun 28 21:08:39 EEST 2003

On Thursday 26 June 2003 21:03, Owen Taylor wrote:
> The initial release of icon-slicer is now available for
> download from:
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/software/icon-slicer/
>
> What is icon slicer:
>
> Icon slicer is a command line utility for generating icon themes
> and libXcursor cursor themes by cutting up "sheets" containing
> many images according to an XML theme description file.

[snip]

Looking at this app reminds me of something I've been thinking
about while working on Xcursor support for KDE.

We currrently have a number of non-standard cursors that are
duplicated in the various toolkits, such as the DnD cursors.

I think we need to make an effort to standardize on the
filenames used for these common cursors, so they can be shared
by the different desktops and toolkits.

This isn't limited just to toolkit level cursors of course. Many
of the cursors used by applications like the Gimp could also be
used by other applications like Sodipodi, Karbon etc.

I think that creating a new cursor standard for those cursors
would be important, especially to those developers that don't
target a specific desktop with their applications, but still need
to know that the cursors they use are available in the cursor
themes designed for the desktops their applications are
being used in.

The old X11 cursor font is after all mostly a collection of random
images that don't meet the needs of modern applications,
and is IMO no longer suitable as a standard for this.

Regards,
Fredrik