URL support (Re: mime-type/application mapping spec, take #2)

Dave Cridland [Home] dave at cridland.net
Mon Jun 30 13:50:11 EEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-29 at 13:28, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> > A solution to that problem could be to standardize KDE's .protocol files (Does
> > GNOME have something similar?)
>
> GNOME has some really basic .conf files which you can find in
> etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/ and which look like:
> fonts: font-method
> (fonts: being the 'protocol' name, and font-method the name of the
> shared lib to use to handle this protocol)

A short interlude of pedanticism:

By "protocol", do we mean "scheme"? "Protocol" is a word covering a
multitude of layers, whereas "scheme" is the bit before the colon in a
URI. Not all URI schemes are protocols - "file" is an obvious one, and
"news" is a bit vague (and might cover both NNTP and IMAP). Even "http",
to be *really* pedantic, tends to use both HTTP and DNS.

RFC2396 seems to be the current wordage on the correct terms - it'd be
nice if any standard coming from this group used the same language.

I also understand that schemes should be registered - it'd be nice if
KDE/GNOME/etc could actually define and register their schemes, rather
than just picking a nice looking name and hoping nobody else is using
it.

Pedantic interlude over, back to getting things to actually work. :-)

Dave.