menu editing

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Wed May 14 15:19:15 EEST 2003

Hi,

I had an idea on how to simplify the menu editing interface presented to
the user.

I believe that if the system menu is suposed to represent all installed
software, and I think it should, it makes sense to let the system decide
on the proper classification. That means a user should not be able to
reorder the menu at all. IMO there should only be two ways for a user to
edit his menu:

+ Hide apps from the system menu he doesn't want to use. This is
  necessary to prevent chaos when 2000 apps are installed on a system.

+ Add apps to a 'User menu' area (or favorites, or whatever); this is
  for apps not conforming to the menu spec or for quickly accessig
  often-used apps, although a panel laucher or desktop shortcut would
  probably be more appropriate for that.

Moving files around and changing the menu structure are tasks of the
system administrator (I know this can be the same person, but it's not
the same function) and should be done by directly editing the vfolder
info.

A menu editor can than show two panes: a 'System Menu' where you can
select or unselect apps to show on the menu and a 'User Menu' where you
can add or remove custom launchers.

I don't know if this is in any way a useful comment, but I thought I'd
throw it in anyway ;-)

	Jasper