Syncing up the MIME databases

Jonathan Blandford jrb at redhat.com
Wed Nov 5 19:55:13 EET 2003

David Faure <dfaure at trolltech.com> writes:
> On Tuesday 04 November 2003 22:18, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
>

> > application/x-executable-binary
> OK (we currently call it x-executable in KDE)

Yeah.  There are a lot of mime-types in GNOME that are slightly
different.  I'm not going to worry too much about breaking people's
preferences here, but I'm wondering if we need a way of indicating that
one particular mime-type is identical to another.  If nothing else,
we'll run into this as x-type applications lose the 'x-'.

> > application/x-netscape-bookmarks
> > audio/x-vorbis
> I just read that
> "audio/x-vorbis is wrong. mimetype should be application/x-ogg. see
> http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp#ext and http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp#mimetype"
> I don't know much about the audio stuff though.
>
> Allan Sandfeld Jensen readded a mimetype named audio/vorbis though, as
> a subtype of application/x-ogg. Not sure if that name is IANA-registered?
> Allan: can you list all the x-ogg subtypes?

It looks like they registered for audio/vorbis, but haven't gotten it
yet.  I think that what most people consider ".ogg" files are more
appropriate as audio/{x-,}vorbis.  This whole issue is a tad unclear to
me, so if anyone can clarify it, it would be good.  The Vorbis guys
could have made this more obvious.... (-;

> > There were a few MIME-types that caught my eye as being potentially
> > problematic.  First, the inode/* MIME-types need to be 'x-' escaped, if
> > nothing else.  I can't find anything at the IANA that indicates the
> > presence of a inode/ content type.
> Well, then the whole inode subdir can be considered 'our own' anyway
> (i.e. not in a namespace used by IANA). OK, a bit fishy in theory.

Then lets use x-inode, at least.  In GNOME, we use x-directory/normal
and x-special/{fifo,socket,etc}.[1]

> > Additionally, there is a text/x-csh, but .csh files will be caught by
> > application/x-shellscript.  Same with zsh scripts.
> x-shellscript is better imho too.

So should we remove x-csh?  It's just a mime-type for now.

Thanks,
-Jonathan

[1] and, come to think of it, when was the last time you attached a fifo
in an email to anyone??