shared-mime-info's terminology

Christian Neumair chris at gnome-de.org
Wed Nov 19 18:10:26 EET 2003

Am Mi, den 19.11.2003 schrieb Christian Rose um 16:58:
> ons 2003-11-19 klockan 16.11 skrev Christian Neumair:
> > > That's excellent! You can probably start with using the guidelines for
> > > descriptions in gnome-vfs/doc/mime-descriptions-guidelines.txt -- so far
> > > noone has objected to using it. Also, the existing terminology and
> > > spellings in gnome-mime-data can probably be a useful reference.
> >
> > I sat down some hours and prepared the attached patch.
> > I un-expanded all the funky useless tla expansions and tried to unify
> > terminology. Note that now all strings not beginning with a
> > vendor/software are uncapitalized since you may want to use it within
> > sentences, too.
> > Could you please test this patch and tell me whether you like it from a
> > translator's point of view?
>
> Ok, below are some comments.
Thanks! You rock! :)

> >    <mime-type type="application/smil">
> > -    <_comment>Synchronized Multimedia Integration Language</_comment>
> > +    <_comment>SMIL file</_comment>
>
> This should probably be "SMIL source code" or "SMIL script" according to
> the guidelines, depending on how it's used.
According to http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-smil/, it's a standard like
XML/HTML/etc. based on SGML, so most likely the best term is "SMIL
document".

> >    <mime-type type="application/vnd.sun.xml.calc">
> > -    <_comment>OpenOffice spreadsheet</_comment>
> > +    <_comment>OpenOffice Calc spreadsheet</_comment>
> >      <glob pattern="*.sxc"/>
> >    </mime-type>
> >    <mime-type type="application/vnd.sun.xml.calc.template">
> > -    <_comment>OpenOffice spreadsheet template</_comment>
> > +    <_comment>OpenOffice Calc spreadsheet template</_comment>
> >      <glob pattern="*.stc"/>
> >    </mime-type>
> >    <mime-type type="application/vnd.sun.xml.draw">
> > -    <_comment>OpenOffice drawing</_comment>
> > +    <_comment>OpenOffice Draw drawing</_comment>
> >      <glob pattern="*.sxd"/>
> >    </mime-type>
> >    <mime-type type="application/vnd.sun.xml.draw.template">
> > -    <_comment>OpenOffice drawing template</_comment>
> > +    <_comment>OpenOffice Draw drawing template</_comment>
>
> All these should probably say OpenOffice.org instead of just OpenOffice.
You are right. Thanks!

> >    <mime-type type="application/x-desktop">
> > -    <_comment>Desktop config file</_comment>
> > +    <_comment>desktop config file</_comment>
>
> Perhaps rather "desktop configuration file".
Do'h, another oversight.

> >    <mime-type type="application/x-dvi">
> > -    <_comment>TeX Device Independent file</_comment>
> > +    <_comment>TeX DeVice Independent file</_comment>
>
> I'd rather prefer "TeX DVI file" or "TeX device independent file".
You are right again. There is no reason to expand DVI. I'll use "TeX DVI
document".

> >    <mime-type type="application/x-font-type1">
> > -    <_comment>Fonts</_comment>
> > +    <_comment>fonts</_comment>
>
> Should probably be "font".
Indeed.

> >    <mime-type type="application/x-gnumeric">
> > -    <_comment>GNUmeric spreadsheet</_comment>
> > +    <_comment>Gnumeric workbook</_comment>
>
> Should probably be "spreadsheet" instead.
I'm not sure on this - Gnumeric itself seems to use workbook. But for
the sake of consistency...ok, you are right :).

> >    <mime-type type="application/x-lhz">
> > -    <_comment>LHA archive</_comment>
> > +    <_comment>LHZ archive</_comment>
>
> Should probably say "LZH archive" instead.
Why?

> >    <mime-type type="image/x-ico">
> > -    <_comment>MSWindows Icons</_comment>
> > +    <_comment>Microsoft Windows icons</_comment>
>
> Should perhaps be singular here.
I don't know. It looks like ico files (don't nail me on that) can
contain multiple icons, at least multiple sizes. So maybe we should call
it "Microsoft Windows icon resource".
Anybody familiar with this format?

> >    <mime-type type="image/x-sun-raster">
> > -    <_comment>SUN Rasterfile</_comment>
> > +    <_comment>SUN Rasterfile image</_comment>
>
> Should "rasterfile" be lowercased?
Nope. It seems to be a brand/product name.

> >    <mime-type type="image/x-xcf">
> > -    <_comment>GIMP native image format</_comment>
> > +    <_comment>GIMP document</_comment>
>
> Perhaps s/document/image/ here.
I wasn't sure on that. Is it just an image? Isn't it some kind of a
document since it has multiple layers etc.?

> >    <mime-type type="inode/directory">
> > -    <_comment>Directory</_comment>
> > +    <_comment>directory</_comment>
>
> Should probably be "folder".