shared-mime-info's terminology

Thomas Leonard tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Nov 20 15:06:59 EET 2003

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 12:34:52AM +0100, Christian Rose wrote:

> > > Right. You rock (again and again)! :)
> >
> > The GNOME word list says:
> >
> > "Folder: A representation of a directory in a graphical program. Use the
> >  term folder when you document programs that use folder icons to represent
> >  directories."
>
> Yes, I'm very well aware of that definition. And the shared-mime-info
> descriptions will almost exclusively be used together with all the
> wizbang GUI magic that represents physical filesystem directories, so
> the term "folder" is correct here, as this will be the graphical
> representation of the directories.

Ah, you're right. I was reading it as the folder being just the icon
("Click on the folder to see the contents of the directory", like
 "Click on the lifebelt to see the help files").

Reading it again, it does look like the distinction is between graphical
and textual programs instead.

--
Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk	tal197 at users.sourceforge.net