HAL 0.1 release

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos at pemas.net
Wed Oct 1 02:44:06 EEST 2003

El dom, 28-09-2003 a las 03:34, David Zeuthen escribió:
> Announcing HAL version 0.1!

Hi

I did just installed it (from CVS) and it looks great.

Only some comments:

It does not work with ieee1394 devices :-P :

got msg!
message name=org.freedesktop.Hal.agent.DeviceRemoved; sender=:1-3
string:
(unknown arg type 12)
message name=org.freedesktop.Hal.agent.DeviceRemoved; sender=:1-3
in handleDeviceRemoved
Segmentation Fault

The "(unknown arg type 12)" appears also with an USB photo camera

Also, I don't know where is the gnome_hal_watcher that you talk about
inside the README.

I will look at the code and I will start the specs proposal merge soon.

[...]

>  o  Device info files are python scripts. I'm not unhappy to change this
>     to an XML based format if a lot of people feel strongly about this.
>     In particular it would be have the opinion of distributors.

I think that hal is a core application and some distributions will not
be happy adding python as a distribution core (I think that FreeBSD were
changing their core packages to move out perl, I'm not sure, but I think
that I read that)

The XML based format sounds better for me.

>  o  Bugs? Haven't found them myself yet ;-)
>     Yeah right, please send bug reports.

IEEE1394 O:-)

[...]

>  o  Look into support for IEEE1394

I could help here, I have some IEEE1394 devices

[...]

> Thanks,
> David

Cheers.