HAL 0.1 release

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Oct 2 10:48:55 EEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 04:43, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > I don't think they're really *that* generally useful, but there are a
> > lot of similar problems being solved between dbus and hal (a system
> > daemon, a desktop-agnostic library).
>
> Oh for sure, hal is going to have a lot of the same needs. The main loop
> integration stuff is doubtless almost identical (including the GLib/Qt
> wrapper portions of it).
>
> Maybe we can do something with "automated cut and paste" sort of hacks
> (have a script that copies in latest cut-and-paste code from some
> canonical source, like update-from-egg.sh in gnome-terminal).

I'd be ready to drop the glib dependency everywhere in hal given this.

I think perhaps a sample program using dbus would be very helpful here.
In a way such that libraries (like libhal) that depend on dbus and ask
people to integrate a DBusConnection can copy-paste it. For instance, I
would copy-paste this into each of the hal executables (hald,
hal_enable_device etc), so I guess it needs to be very light. I would
also point people using libhal to this code in case they are not glib or
Qt.

I actually tried to avoid glib, for reasons of keeping dependencies
down, but it was too difficult and I resorted to the glib one-liner. I
don't really use glib anywhere else than main loop integration. But I
had planned to..

It would entail having a DBusMainloop object or something, right?

Cheers,
David