HAL ideas from mac

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos at pemas.net
Mon Oct 20 01:03:35 EEST 2003

El dom, 19-10-2003 a las 23:53, Marc Boris Dürner escribió:
> >The idea is that hal will be integrated with every distro that wants it
> >so yes, it's a way to handle mounting/unmounting drives.
>
> I know what HAL is, but I dont think it should be a configuration tool!
> I am just against the BootProgram/ShutdownProgram/ConfigureProgram
> Properties in the
> HAL 0.1 spec. This is an awkward solution that may work for simple cases
> like mounting/
> unmounting, but not for more complicated things.

Who is talking about a configuration tool?

My initial proposal was about mount all detected volumes on /vol or
/Volumes or /mnt or any other "standard" directory.

It will only handle any device that is not configured with /etc/fstab

> >You will get cd/dvd change notifications and of course, you will get
> >true plug&play hard drives like any modern Operating system.
>
> If you want to write a volume manager that would be better! I dont know how
> good the
> existing ones like supermount etc are.

supermount is a ugly hack.

I'm talking about something like autorun/magicdev working automatically
with hotplug events and polling (for cd media change discover)

> >Of course, you will be able to deactivate it.
> I dont want to develop something that everyone has to deactivate, because it
> might
> break the system

I will not develop anything that will break any system.

Cheers.

--
Carlos Perelló Marín
Debian GNU/Linux Sid (PowerPC)