pkg-config search path

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Sep 22 18:57:34 EEST 2003

Around 10 o'clock on Sep 22, Carl Worth wrote:

> I can't find a way to justify the inclusion of a hard-coded path from
> a specific software package into a system as general as pkg-config.

The justification is that /usr/X11R6 is "special" -- it's a standard part
of the FSH.  As long as X libraries are supposed to be installed there,
it seems clear that the related .pc files should be placed in the same
hierarchy.

If we can get the FSG to move the X libraries to /usr/lib, then pkg-config
should change as well.

-keith