New standard proposal

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos at pemas.net
Fri Sep 26 20:26:35 EEST 2003

El vie, 26-09-2003 a las 14:52, David Zeuthen escribió:
> On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 12:53, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> > There is not any problem to cooperate with the HAL project. I want it
> > working, the project name os not an issue here :-)
> >
> > How could we start working together?
> >

> Excellent. I suppose the first thing to do is to read the current
> hal draft spec and send patches to the spec for things that need to be
> changed to fit with your ideas. Note that I'm ignoring /etc/fstab and
> proposing that users can mount devices in their home directory if they
> so desire - this might be a bit controversial.

I have already read the hal draft.

The option to mount devices in their home directory is something
difficult and really insecure... The main problem here is, you will not
be able to mount anything inside an NFS home if you have the root-squash
option enabled. Also, you should check carefully that the mount is done
where it should (symbolic links pointing to core directories, for
example).

> In any case, feedback is welcome.
>
> Second, I'll be releasing version 0.1 this weekend so people can play
> around with mounting devices - I will provide a very basic GUI
> (hal_watcher cf. the draft spec); hopefully someone will do this
> properly in GNOME and KDE.

I will look at it.

> >From there on we can find out how to work together post version 0.1. All
> the code is in CVS. I have deliberately focused on storage devices to
> start with, but there is a *lot* of work remaining on some of the ideas
> vented on this list; in particular the ideas about interfaces are
> interesting.

Ok

> > Sorry I did not start to look at it, but I know about a script [1] that
> > tries to automatically mount usb-storage devices.
> >

> I'll look into this, but I still fear that we will have to ask the user
> to tell what device to mount in the initial version of the GUI.. But for
> a proof of concept as this is, I suppose that is fine enough. After all,
> before this is production ready, distros will already be shipping 2.6 (I
> hope).

Hey, I want the Volume Manager daemon working soon (soon == no more than
a year), you cannot hope that GNOME/KDE/XFCE/others will use HAL
assuming they are always under Linux 2.6, it should work without
problems under *BSD and other Unix.

> Cheers,
> David

Cheers.