New project request/idea

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Apr 13 16:46:39 EEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 18:24, Jakub Steiner wrote:
> V So 03. 04. 2004 v 19:11 +0100 píše Tom Chance:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm currently co-developing a SVG icon set with users of both KDE and GNOME.
> > We really need a CVS repository to do it, but we can't get one from the usual
> > sources (e.g. Sourceforge), so we thought you might be able to help.
> >
> > It could be expanded into a place for cross-desktop icon themes to be
> > developed, if you had the space. We would also work on scripts to
> > automatically convert many icons between KDE and GNOME (i.e. change
> > filenames), and other desktops if people want to, to save us and future icon
> > artists the trouble.
>
> I recall Rodney Dawes was working on a draft for icon file naming
> convention. It would make a lot of sense to share a common set of file
> names. I cannot locate the message, nor URL though. Dobey?

I tried to come up with this initially when creating the icon theme
specification itself, but there seemed to be little interest in it.
Here is the discussion:

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/xdg-list/2002-September/msg00039.html

By now, each desktop has their own names for icons, and it think it'll
be very hard to change it. The names are pretty much a part of the
ABI/API in some sense.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a hate-fuelled drug-addicted farmboy who hangs with the wrong crowd.
She's a mistrustful streetsmart Valkyrie with an evil twin sister. They fight
crime!