pkgconfig maintenance

Scott James Remnant scott at netsplit.com
Thu Apr 15 23:20:49 EEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 16:26, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Scott Remnant has kindly offered to work on pkgconfig maintenance; he'll
> post patches to xdg@ for discussion. If you're interested in pkgconfig
> direction you might want to watch for his posts and give feedback.
>
> Thanks and welcome to Scott!

*waves*

This is just a quick mail to give everyone an idea of where I'm thinking
of heading with it, here are my main three goals:

 - making it easier for cross-compilers to use without fiddling too much
   with PATHs and the like.  I've had an improved m4 file for a while
   that could go some of the way to fixing this, there's other things
   that can/should be done too.

 - avoiding explicitly linking dependency libraries and modules on
   platforms like Linux where the dynamic link loader can take care of
   that itself.  This will greatly ease the burden on distribution
   maintainers when things need upgrading.

 - better interaction with Libtool (for which I'm the Debian maintainer
   and one of the upstreams), there's no need for them both to try to do
   the same work at the same time

Given these goals, the plan is to eventually release a stable 1.0
release which is dependable and doesn't annoy too many people.  I don't
intend to break any backwards compatibility, what works with 0.15 should
continue to work (just maybe without any improvement either).

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?