LinuxRegistry in Freedesktop & KDE

Avi Alkalay avi at unix.sh
Sat Apr 17 22:21:25 EEST 2004

> ... and so high level that it works with/over everything. Ethernet,
> token-ring, ppp dial-up lines, radios etc. Please consider the
> consistency layer being a little more high level, maybe like CFGs[1].

I don´t know what are CFGs. I´m new to this list, and I´m here because
some people started to talk about LR. I´ll be happy to know more about
it.

I understand your point, but I compare ppp, token-ring, ether, as being
physical storage: disk, memory, cache, etc.

I understand that higher level frameworks will need higher level
functionality, etc. As KDE, Gnome, etc. I guess the idea of the people
that brought LR to this discussion (was not me) was to use it as a base
for this kind of software. A common base for GConf or KConfig, for
example.

But lower level software can´t use these frameworks. Higher level
functionality requires daemons for example, and daemons can´t handle
security in a trusted way for example. How can a daemon know which user
connected to it? Daemons have other problems also.
How can ´mount´ use something like GConf to find the /usr device to mount
it, when GConf´s libs are into this still unmounted device?
Before the flames, I know GConf was not designed for this purpose. So I
think it is time to think about a broader approach, embracing all system.

Freedesktop folks, please turn your holistic vision on: You can´t have a
desktop that provides true full power to the user, if he can´t, without
geek help, install easilly a CD recorder, webcam, 7-button-3D-mouse,
shortcut-keys-keyboard. A solution for consistent application and machine
configuration and integration is beyond the "desktop" and beloved KDE´s
control-center.

The point is: you can adapt lower lever frameworks to higher level
software, but you can´t adapt higher level framework to lower level
software. The LR is a proposal for *everything*, from low to high.
Desktop is just one of the possible usages. A pervasive configuration
framework provides super-consistent application automatic integration.
Together with other things, this is one of Windows strengths, which I
feel Linux lacks, everytime I have to install a new software or HW
driver, and do many things by hand.

I love this discussion.

Regards,
Avi