udev, hal, and usb mass storage.

Anthony Metcalf anthony.metcalf at anferny.ath.cx
Mon Apr 19 14:05:28 EEST 2004

Hi all,
	Some of you may remember from earlier posts that I'm playing with hal
and a usb flash device. This is working nicely, I plug the device in,
udev creates the nodes, hal notices it, it's added to the
hal-device-manager, and so long as gnome-volume-manager is running it is
automatically mounted as /keyfob. This happens
because I have the line

/dev/sda1               /keyfob  auto        defaults, user	0 0

in fstab.

I want to be able to use udev's funkyness and create a link from
whatever device node (sda1, sdb1 etc) that the device is given to
/dev/keyfob. So I created the rule and udev now reliably creates
/dev/sda1 and /dev/keyfob as a link to sda1. This is good.

What is not good is that hal does not know this, it has no knowledge of
/keyfob, so I cannot have my fstab line above as

/dev/keyfob               /keyfob  auto        defaults, user	0 0

as I would like.

Currently this is not a big thing for me, I only have the one device and
so it *is* *always* /dev/sda1, but what if I get another? and plug them
in in a different order? udev will handle this fine, hal wont. What am I
to do?

Can I alter hal to notice links to device nodes? do I have to change the
way the rule creates the node so that /dev/keyfob is not a link?
Will this affect my system badly? Where in the hal source do I start
looking for this stuff?

Any help is very much apreciated, and sorry for the long post, I find it
better to explain as fully as possible than to have to keep adding stuff