Standardization of a notification-protocol

Rob Kaper cap at capsi.com
Mon Apr 19 19:56:35 EEST 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 06:01:44PM +0200, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > I'm working on a notification-service in C using GTK and I would like to
> > use a standardized transmission protocol so that I do not have to implement
> > every single protocol like the KNotify-Protocol and others but there is
> > none. Now a user just gave me the idea of proposing you to standardize a
> > protocol for a notification service.
>
> Couldn't this be based on DBUS?

Sure, but it would require more such as a shared eventsrc document
specification for i18n and configuration and shared interfaces between the
various desktop systems receiving the notifications. And indeed, a shared
transport or at least a proper bridge. Also think of communication the other
way: a server process will want to inform the desktop, but the other way
around would also be nice. Think of signalling bind its configuration
changed in a generic way, instead of requiring ndc.

This would of course require an authentication layer within the notification
system as well decent network support for cross-machine notifications.

> I guess there are user specific events your want to notify about and system
> wide events all users and maybe even daemons are interested in.

Yes. Martijn Klingens once wrote a patch for DCOP to properly support this
distinction, although I don't think the code ever matured.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | 4/16 Horrorpops COPENHAGEN, 4/29 The Rasmus LONDON
cap at capsi.com | 5/11 Ghost of the Robot AMSTERDAM, 5/14 Disney PARIS