The "umount - device is busy" issue: wbumount

nf nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Tue Apr 20 15:31:06 EEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 13:34, Anthony Metcalf wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:04:18 +0200
> nf <nf2 at scheinwelt.at> wrote:
>
> > http://www.scheinwelt.at/~norbertf/wbumount/
>
> One comment, if the mountpoints are updated when things are hotplugged
> why do you have to specify a mountpoint when starting wbumount? Or am I
> just reading wrong.

the moutpoint-argument of wbumount-gtk is optional. it could be used to
run wbumount-gtk from other applications (like filemanagers which fail
to umount a device).

wbumount only lists devices mounted by the current user ("user" option
in /etc/fstab). hotplug devices are always mounted by root - i guess -
there is now way to umount them manually anyway. on my mdk10 hotplug
uses supermount - i don't know if this is always the case. how do other
linuxes (redhat?) deal with hotplug devices? do they just create a
"user" mountpoint in fstab - or do they mount right away?

do you think it would make sense to extend the capabilies of wbumount to
watch supermounted devices?

norbert