[Registry] Re: LinuxRegistry in Freedesktop & KDE

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Wed Apr 21 17:13:39 EEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 11:01, Daniel M. Lambea wrote:
> C. Gatzemeier said:

> > and to just mimic a key-value registry in filesystem doesn't take you
> > too far.
>
>   The idea of using filesystem to do that makes use of several features of
> (I think) ReiserFS, which is very good in handling small files, in
> accessing them, while not impacting large files. Therefore, the
> key-value registry, mapped onto ReiserFS, is just a sort of natural
> association.

And, for the hundredth time, depending on any file system makes the
entire config engine useless.  People run machines mounted on NFS,
LiveCDs (ISO9660), etc.  FreeDesktop is *NOT LINUX SPECIFIC* and thus
cannot depend on any Linux-only file system.  Most Linux users don't
even use ReiserFS, and that isn't likely to change soon.  If the only
defense against the brain-dead and poorly engineered key layout of LR is
that ReiserFS fixes the problems then LR just simply isn't going to
work.

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.